As a recent college graduate, I have been on the hunt for my first job out of school. DocuTAP fell into my lap unexpectedly and I am so glad it did. Prior to graduation, I knew I wanted an internship experience and applied for all that I could find. During the process, DocuTAP came to mind. I knew I wanted to work for a company with a great marketing department, fun environment, and friendly people. I left both my interviews with the feeling I would definitely fit in with the team. After being hired as DocuTAP’s new graphic design intern, I was eager to start and ready to learn.
This experience is like nothing I’ve ever experienced before. I work with so many different people and have learned so many new things. When I started my internship, DocuTAP had recently acquired a company called Clockwise.MD. I had the opportunity to work closely with Adam, one of Marketing’s graphic designers, to fold the Clockwise.MD brand into DocuTAP’s corporate brand.
The best part about this internship is being a part of the marketing team and having the chance to do more than design. I’ve been able to brainstorm ideas for client Christmas gifts and DocuTAP’s scholarship program. I’ve helped prepare internal events like our Go for Whoa employee recognition program and the Clockwise.MD integration launch party. And because of my experience with photography, I was able to work with Ashley, the digital marketing coordinator, to take photos for company events, which helped me become more comfortable behind the camera.
As for my design skills, they’re improving through real-world application.
I was able to learn new programs and practice my Adobe Creative Suite skills. Seeing how the theory actually works in practice has been great and increased my comfort level. This internship gave me the opportunity to continue to practice my skills, improve, and experience new things.
During the internship, all the interns were given special tasks, like writing blogs and presenting our experience to the executive team. All these experiences helped broaden my knowledge and skill set, which will help when finding a full-time job. I’m proud of the work I’ve done at DocuTAP during my internship. Doing what I can to help makes me feel like a valued part of the team.
The biggest takeaways from my internship
- Never stop learning. The world is always changing and we are always adapting to these changes. Make sure you keep up with the trends and you stay fresh. A willingness to learn will always take you farther on your career path.
- Ask questions. Always ask questions. Never assume you know what you are doing. It is always better to ask and do the job correctly than to fix a ton of mistakes—or even worse start over. There is never a bad question and everyone around you will thank you for asking.
- Stay organized. It is important to stay on top of your tasks and get the most out of your internship. Make sure you know what projects are priority and meet your deadlines.
- Network. Talk to everyone within the company and get to know what they do. The people around you have been working longer than you have. Make your internship an opportunity to learn something new and get advice
- Take initiative. Continue to work towards your goals throughout your internship. If you feel like you can handle bigger challenges, say something! Make sure you get the experiences you came to get.
My internship at DocuTAP has been a great experience and I am very blessed to have had this opportunity. The things I’ve learned will definitely help with my future endeavors. I can’t wait to see how my experiences with this company will impact my career move. I would strongly encourage anyone in school to make sure to get the opportunity to intern as soon as you can. It’s so worth it.